Thursday 22 February 2018

Teachers Without a Title.



Over the Christmas break I have had plenty of opportunity to reflect. One thing I have spent a considerable amount of time thinking about is where my career is headed. In this blog I wanted to share my thoughts about that process and the conclusions I have drawn.

As an educator, there are a number of opportunities for people to progress through the ranks. You can apply for management roles such as Head of Department or Head of House, or higher up the ladder to Senior Leadership roles. However, my dilemma is that I’ve never aspired to be any of those. But at this stage of my teaching career, it was time to plot my future direction and decide, once and for all, on a vocational pathway with which I would be satisfied and which would provide me with professional fulfilment.

As I wasn’t sure where to start, I started to make notes - lots and lots of notes - in a note pad. I listed all the things that I have enjoyed in the last 12 months. I listed the career opportunities available to teachers and then listed the pros and cons of each of them. Also, I considered other ideas such as further study, career changes or even a change of school. I thought it was also really important to consider where I was in my personal life. After all, our career is important but it’s not the ‘be all’ and ‘end all’. There has to be a work/life balance.

As my page of notes grew longer, I started writing names. Names of people who fill the Senior roles at my school and considered what each of them brought to the role and to me. I then deliberated on what I could bring to these roles and whether or not promotion was the direction I was seeking. I quickly decided it was not.

Next, I listed the people who have shared their experiences and encouraged me through the learning journey I have been on. These are people I respect and who share similar interests, so I was sure that they could provide me with guidance and help me to reach that place of professional contentment. I was right. After meeting with several of these people, their affirmation and support of my work and ideas finally cemented my career decision.

You’re probably wondering by now where I see myself going and the answer to that is simple.... nowhere! I love what I do. I have wonderful opportunities to implement new things with new classes. I have made connections to share, support and most importantly keep learning from those who share my passion. I have the support from the leadership team and my peers to keep implementing ideas and trying new things to improve learning opportunities for my students. The deciding factor was my total belief in what I do and the happiness I derive from it.

I’m a teacher of 17 years. I have never been a Head of House, Head of Department or anything more than a classroom teacher and there is no shame in that. I’m proud of what I do and think it is an incredibly important and influential job. Good teachers are never forgotten by the students whose lives they helped to shape.

On this journey of trying to work out where I want to be, I have discovered I want to be in the classroom, in front of kids. That’s what I enjoy! I want be challenged to engage the kid who is disengaged. I want to hear the comments and laughter of the kids who are loving their learning. I want to have that opportunity to influence the kid who may remember me when reflecting on their own life’s journey.

Do I need a title?  I already have one – Teacher!


No comments:

Post a Comment