Friday 16 August 2019

The Power of Connections



The Power of Connections

It’s our Winter break here in Australia and it’s great to slow down and relax a little after what was another busy semester. We have three weeks break. The first week, I did very little. I really made some time for me, to take my mind off school work. However, this second week is what I want to write about and before you pre-empt me, I haven’t thrown myself back into work. I’ve done something much more valuable.

Building relationships with students is really important. There’s been lots researched and written about that topic from people more qualified than me. But as a teacher you need to build relationships or connections with others outside your classroom to support your Teaching and Learning and growth as an educator. After what was a busy semester, and knowing there’s another busy semester ahead, I’d decided that I needed to spend this break wisely. I wanted to refresh but also to prepare myself for the remainder of the year and I decided to draw on my connections to help me.

Nineteen years ago, I began my teaching career. In my very first semester I was asked to go on a school camp under the guidance of an experienced Teacher. Nineteen years on and that lady is no longer a colleague, but she is a valued family friend, long time mentor and still edits my writing, including this blog! So, I thought it only natural to go to her as my first point of call. I love talking 'teaching' with her. She challenges me, encourages me, doesn’t always tell me what I want to hear, but most importantly, she brings out the best in me. This was a valuable start to using these holidays wisely.

These holidays I had also accepted an invitation to have an informal chat with an educational organisation about how I use Twitter as a resource. I really value Twitter as a resource, particularly to connect with other educators so this was a double whammy. I could share what I’d learnt and what I value about my Twitter PLN(personal learning network) but also make further connections with more people in the field of education.

I had also planned to catch up with a young guy I was fortunate to meet in the last calendar year. This young man is doing things in education that has taken me nearly twenty years to attempt. He is an entrepreneur and an inspiration to anyone who has had the fortune to cross paths with him. Catching up with him is inspiring, motivating and always kickstarts the drive within me to keep working hard for my students. Not just to match the wonderful things he is doing, but to challenge my students to develop into people with the same values, mindsets and beliefs that he has.

I mentioned Twitter earlier. I have a great twitter PLN with whom I share, connect, learn and grow. One of these twitter friends asked me to host a twitter chat this month. Of course, I said yes, and I have spent some time thinking about a topic I’d like to present, share with and get inspiration from. I have thoroughly enjoyed planning the questions for this chat. It’s been like planning PD for myself and I’m really looking forward to discussing this with the twitter sphere. 

I wanted to share this with you to give you all pause for thought. It is so easy to become bogged down by the day to day challenges. I wanted to share just how easy it is to renew the spirit when you put yourself first for a change. Firstly, I took time for myself to relax and refresh. That was needed! I then caught up with my long-term mentor to reflect on what was semester one. I then had the informal meeting with the educational organisation. This was affirming to share what I am doing and how I am doing it. It also added to my educational connections. Meeting the young entrepreneur has, as always, inspired me. Already my mind is bubbling with new ideas and of course my twitter PLN. The opportunity to host the upcoming Twitter chat has given me something to pin point that I’d like to improve on in a relaxed but very pointed way.

I still have one week of holidays to go and I have some work to do. I have to plan new units and think about the how and why I can make great learning experiences for my students. But heading into next week, I feel like I’m ready. I have a friend who does triathlons. With his training he tapers off in the weeks leading into the event to best prepare himself. I feel like I’m doing that with this break. Not quite at the starting line but setting myself up to be the best I can be. After teaching nearly twenty years I am still learning how to do things better - how to teach better, how to keep improving and how to prepare better. Teaching can seem a lonely profession at times, but I couldn’t do it without support and relationships from people around me. My colleagues, friends, mentors, inspiration and my PLN. Teaching isn’t a solo sport, it’s a team sport and I am very grateful to my team, my connections!

No comments:

Post a Comment